When adventure takes riders off the beaten path, the KLX250S is the right tool for the job. Built for both on-and off-road use, the light and nimble KLX250S is an ideal ride for dual-sporting fun. Its efficient single-cylinder engine is perfect for maneuvering through urban traffic or exploring the trails. No matter where the journey leads, it’s enhanced by the KLX’s long-travel suspension, impressive maneuverability and reliable liquid-cooled engine.
An easy-to-use push-to-start button starts up the KLX’s 249cc engine. That engine is mounted in a light, high-tensile steel perimeter frame, yielding a low center of gravity that translates into better maneuvering on tight trails. The 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor provides great throttle response and broad, smooth power – not to mention fantastic fuel economy. The KLX250S meets California air pollution regulations, making it an ideal urban commuter in all 50 states.
A highly refined six-speed transmission contains the right gear for everything from off-road crawling to highway cruising, with an advanced shift cam for positive shift feel and firm engagement. The rigors of off-road motorcycling dictate additional protection for the exposed underside of the machine, so the KLX250S comes standard with an aluminum engine guard to protect its crankcase during off-road adventures. Negotiating tight terrain also highlights another off-road reality – heat. Dual lightweight, high-capacity Denso radiators and an electric fan provide ample cooling.
The KLX250S’s straight-line stability is enhanced by a rigid square-section main frame, yet its short wheelbase gives it outstanding turning aptitude. Complementing the chassis is a lightweight aluminum swingarm employing a highly rigid D-shaped cross section. KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow for precise chain adjustments.
The KLX250S’s custom spring and damping settings, with slightly less wheel travel than a dedicated off-road machine, give a more planted feel in corners and make it easier for riders to reach the ground. The 43mm inverted cartridge-style front fork features 16-way adjustable compression damping and 10.0-inches of travel. The Uni-Trak® linkage-type rear suspension has 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping, providing 9.1-inches of wheel travel. Strong, 4mm-thick spokes in the 21-inch front and 18-inch rear wheels provide excellent rigidity for enhanced off-road durability. The KLX250S also stops hard, thanks to twin-piston calipers squeezing a 250mm semi-floating petal-shaped disc up front and a 240mm petal-shaped disc at the rear.
Aggressively styled bodywork finishes off this powerful and rugged package, and a custom seat filled with firm urethane and a carefully chosen handlebar pull it all together for long, comfortable days on the road and off it.
Riders seeking enduro handling and modern engine performance in a dual-purpose motorcycle designed for effortless street riding will find it at their local Kawasaki dealership. The KLX250S offers serious capabilities in a fun, easy-to-ride package, regardless of where the adventure takes it.
The Best of Both Worlds
The latest and greatest KLX250S features unbelievable off road performance and real KLX heritage making it an awesome on or off road machine. Whether you’re tearing it up on the weekends with your mates or hauling to work and back through the week, enjoy the best of both worlds with the all new KLX250S.
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S Features and Benefits
• On and off-road capability means maximum versatility
• 249cc engine is liquid cooled for long engine life
• Adjustable 43mm fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping
• Adjustable Uni-Trak® rear suspension helps ensure a smooth ride and great handling
• Fully digital instrumentation has easy-to-read speedometer and tachometer
• Starting is easy with push-button electric start
• Six-speed transmission provides the right gear for any situation
• Brakes feature petal-style discs for superior stopping power
Single-cylinder 249cc DOHC Engine
• Compact engine design is lightweight and high revving, with a broad torque curve
• Good mass centralization for superior handling
• Flat-top piston and pentroof combustion chamber deliver an 11:1 compression ratio
• Lightweight piston, piston pin and connecting rod enable higher revs for maximum power
• Aluminum cylinder features electrofusion coating, which allows a tight clearance between piston and cylinder for greater horsepower and increased engine life thanks to superior heat transfer and lubrication retention properties
• A gear-driven engine balancer provides smooth power delivery from idle to redline
• Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow, to boost low-end torque while providing improved high-rpm breathing efficiency for more power
• 34mm semi-flat slide Keihin CVK carburetor delivers the optimum amount of fuel at all rpm, resulting in improved throttle response, greater power and excellent fuel economy
• Meets strict CARB regulations, so it’s available in all 50 states
• Dual high-capacity, vertical-flow Denso radiators provide reliable and efficient engine cooling
• Radiators feature tightly packed cores and a fin design for excellent heat dispersion
• More consistent engine temperatures allow tighter engine clearances for quieter running and sustained power, while promoting longer engine life
• Cooling fan is powered by a shallow-footprint electric motor
• Quick and easy push-button starting
• Kawasaki Automatic Compression Release (KACR) automatically lifts one of the exhaust valves at cranking rpm, for reduced starting effort
• Secondary air system helps provide clean emissions
• USFS-approved spark arrestor lets the KLX™250S access designated off-road public riding areas
• Allows engine’s full potential to be used
• Provides excellent acceleration as well as relaxed highway cruising
Inverted Front Forks
• 43mm inverted cartridge fork offers excellent rigidity and consistent damping performance; 10.0-inch wheel travel means straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
• 16-way compression damping adjustment allows tuning for differences in rider weight and terrain
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
• 9.1-inches of rear wheel travel for straight-line stability, great handling and a low seat height
• Progressive linkage rate provides a smooth ride and excellent bottoming resistance
• The gas-charged remote-reservoir shock features 16-way adjustable compression and rebound damping
• Lightweight, high-tensile steel for amazing rigidity
• No downtubes, for lower engine placement and lower center of gravity as well as ample ground clearance
• Lightweight, aluminum D-section swingarm is highly rigid and reduces unsprung weight
• KX™ racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment to minimize drivetrain power losses
Petal-Shaped Disc Brakes
• Front and rear disc brakes offer impressive stopping performance
• Twin-piston caliper grips a 250mm petal-shaped disc up front
• 240mm rear petal-shaped disc for great power, feel and feedback
Wheels and Tires
• Fat, 4mm spokes for greater off-road durability
• Tires with small tread blocks for longer tire life and increased grip on asphalt
• KLX-spec handlebar for a more relaxed position and effortless control
• Footpegs are positioned close to the bike’s centerline
• KLX-spec seat shape and foam make it easier to change seating position
Narrow Fuel Tank
• Narrow tank design gives riders maximum comfort and control without sacrificing capacity
• All-digital instrument console gives at-a-glance information, including a digital bar graph tachometer, digital speedometer, clock, and dual trip meters
• Aggressive headlight and front fender design
• Two-piece radiator shrouds styled like the KX motocrossers
• Rear fender is a two-piece unit featuring a sharp taillight design that offers great visibility and further contributes to the KLX’s aggressive styling
2012 Kawasaki KLX250S - USA Specifications/Technical Details
US MSRP Price: $4,999 USD
Engine Four-stroke, Liquid-Cooled, DOHC, four-valve single
Bore x Stroke 72.0 x 61.2mm
Compression ratio 11.0:1
Cooling System Liquid
Carburetion Keihin CVK34
Ignition Digital CDI
Final drive Chain
Frame Type Semi-double cradle, high-tensile steel
Rake/Trail 26.5 degrees / 4.1 in.
Front suspension / wheel travel 43mm Inverted Cartridge Fork with 16-Way Compression Damping Adjustment / 10.0 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel Uni-Trak® with Adjustable Preload, 16-Way Compression and Rebound Damping Adjustment / 9.1 in.
Front Tire Size 80/100x21
Rear Tire Size 100/100x18
Front brakes / rear brakes 250mm semi-floating petal disc with two-piston hydraulic caliper / 240mm petal disc with single-piston hydraulic caliper
Overall length 86.6 in.
Overall width 32.3 in.
Overall Height 47.4 in.
Seat height 35.0 in.
Wheelbase 56.3 in.
Ground clearance 11.2 in.
Fuel capacity 2.0 gal.
Curb weight 297.7 lbs.
Color Choices Lime Green, Red